Python, CORBA, and Borland Java interop?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 05:38:25 EDT 2002

Dave Benjamin wrote:

> [description of feature incompatibility between python and java impls elided]
>
> Does anyone know of a possible solution (open source or commercial) to
> this Python->Java interoperability issue?

I have never met a python/java problem that jython couldn't solve. Have
you considered jython, which is python implemented in java?

http://www.jython.org/

The boundaries between java classes and jython classes are completely
seamless. To inherit into jython from a java class is simplicity itself,
just use the java class as you would a jython class.

So, presumably your IDL compiler is generating client stubs and server
skeleton in Java? Simply use the java client stubs directly in jython:
there should be no integration work or extra development work necessary.

Jython is very likely to be the perfect solution to your problem, if the
JVM start-up time and memory requirements on the client side are not a
problem.

> The ability to do this would be a major asset to the company, as it
> would free us to develop web front-ends in our language of choice! Any
> help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm perplexed by this statement. What can python do in this regard that
java cannot?

Regards,

alan kennedy