Need help porting Prevayler (Java) to Python

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Wed Oct 2 17:43:08 EDT 2002

"djw" <dwelch at nospam.vcd.hp.com> wrote in message
news:anf9vs$ofc$1 at news.vcd.hp.com...

> How is this system different/same from Python's pickling system? I read
> through the FAQ and some of the code, and it seems like it is just
> serializing objects to a log file... isn't this what pickle does?
> (Please excuse my rather naive question!)

The Python version would use pickle or cpickle to serialize the snapshot and
the command log. So this system would build upon Python's pickling
capability. By logging all mutators the system can recover from failure by
reloading the last snapshot and reapplying commands from the log. I'm also
hoping that combining this with Pyro (Python Remote Objects) would get one a
simple, scalable, robust, multi-user object persistence system. At least,
that's my goal in all this.

> Also, wouldn't you want some people who are experienced _Python_
> programmers to do this, not Java programmers?

I guess that was implied. <wink>

> Just curious,

Curiosity is good... as long as you aren't a cat. :-)

Pat

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech