Python, COM and Threads

stephentubbs member at dbforums.com
Thu Oct 31 12:32:32 EST 2002

I am currently struggling with a similar situation under Python 2.1.
I've included a bit of sample code to illustrate.  To summarize, I am
creating a thread that creates a connection to Excel and attempts to
write to the worksheet.

from threading import Thread

class foo:
    def run(self):
        try:
            import win32com.client
            self.excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
            self.excel.Visible = 1
            k = self.excel.Workbooks.Add()
            v = k.Worksheets(1)
            v.Cells(1,1).Value = str(self)
        except:
            import traceback
            traceback.print_exc()

l = Thread(target = foo().run,    #creates a new instance
                 name = 'foo',verbose = 1)
l.start()

Stephen