Python CSV

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Oct 5 05:42:58 EDT 2002

<posted & mailed>

Max wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I try to get the python source code. I've installed wincvs and followed
> the instruction but...
>

> Python 2.2.1 (#34, Apr 15 2002, 09:51:39) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>
> CVSROOT: d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python
> (password authentication)
>
> cvs login
>
> Logging in to :pserver:d at cvs.python.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/python
>
> Error connecting to host cvs.python.sourceforge.net: Host sconosciuto.

So, the machine you're running this on has some big DNS problem -- it's
unable to resolve a perfectly good, existing hostname.  That's bad.  You
should really work to solve this problem: it would be no use at all if
you found "a good, old simple zipfile" (or more likely tarball) if it
was on a host that your buggy DNS can't get to, right?

> cvs [login aborted]: Connection to server failed
>
> *****CVS exited normally with code 1*****
>

> ----
>
> With another pc I don't get any connection aborted or connection error,
> it write "CSV exited normally with code 0".

That's stranger and may have something to do with wincvs problems --
and I can well imagine you don't want to debug them (as opposed to
DNS bugs on your machine, that you should fix more urgently).

I'm not sure to what instructions you refer -- witn WinCvs 1.20 (latest
stable -- no need for betas) you can use Create/Checkout module...
and set CVSROOT to just anonymous at cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python
(the equivalent of the -d flag you set with a checkbox clearly marked
as such in one of the tabs of the tabbed dialog you get -- the CVSROOT
you also enter in an entry field in such a tab -- etc).  The module
name is Python, and I'm just checking it out to make sure that
everything is working (not that I need another CVS snapshot, but
I'd like to help a fellow Italian...!_).

> There isn't a simple way to get last distribution source - a good,
> old,simple link to a .zip file?

I don't know if anybody's currently running a "nightly CVS tarball"
service for Python -- it's the kind of thing that comes and goes.  As
CVS gets often update, the idea of somebody getting a snapshot often
rather than just the updates (and thus wasting a lot of bandwidth)
is quite unattractive to some.

Alex