Should FixedPoint Derive From 'object'

Doug Fort doug.fort at verizon.net
Sun Oct 20 13:07:11 EDT 2002

We got a feature request at the SourceForge FixedPoint project
http://fixedpoint.sourceforge.net
to make FixedPoint compatible with Python 2.1.

This would be pretty easy: just don't derive from 'object' and
eliminate the property for precision.

My initial assumption on this project was that, since FixedPoint is
targeted for Python 2.3, we can and should go with new features.

OTOH, in ESR's Bazaar model, the more people who use this code, the
better it's going to get. This especially applies to those who have
enough interest to post feature requests.

I don't think we can back out the new class stuff now, and then put
it back later. That could have the effect of luring people into
using FixedPoint, and then breaking their code.

I really don't know about this one, so I'm throwing it out to hear
from the community.

One restriction. I consider Tim Peters to be the BDFL of FixedPoint,
so he gets a veto.
--
Doug Fort, Programmer
http://www.dougfort.net