Larry Wall's comment on python...

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Wed Oct 2 00:56:05 EDT 2002

>> Actually, it DOES. Your technique does not work.

>Yes, this technique does work.

><tab><tab>def long_function_name(argument1,argument2,
><tab><tab>                       argument3,argument4):

Oh, I see. No, I misinterpreted your statement. This will work.

Theoretically. In practice, of course, the developer in question will
very likely strike the tab key to get as far as they can to the first
element of the second line. Further, they will not see at the time they
do this how it makes their code malformated in another editor.

*shrug*

Hard practice has shown me that intermixed tabs in files with multiple
developers on a project using cvs or some other common tool *always*
ends up with formatting conflicts. As a consequence, I globally replace
all tabs in all files as I encounter them with runs of 4 spaces, even in
C++ and other languages.

C//