Linux install question

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Mon Oct 14 13:55:43 EDT 2002

Robert Oschler wrote in comp.lang.python:
> When you get a new Python tarball, like the new one for 2.2.1b for instance,

You could wait until tomorrow for the 2.2.2 final ;-)

> what directory do you put it in?  Also, what directory do you
> extract the contents of the tarball, before running
> 'configure/make/etc'?  I'm trying to make my directory structure as
> uniform as possible.

I keep my sources in ~/src (i. e. a 'src' subdirectory of my home
directory). I just unpack the tarball there, then change into:

~/src/Python-2.2.2

and configure Python with the options I want, and most importantly, to
be installed in a directory of itself. So what follows after unpacking
is approx this:

gerhard at lilith:~/src/Python2.2.2> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python2.2.2
gerhard at lilith:~/src/Python2.2.2> make
gerhard at lilith:~/src/Python2.2.2> su
root at lilith:/home/gerhard/src/Python2.2.2> mkdir /usr/local/python2.2.2
root at lilith:/home/gerhard/src/Python2.2.2> make install
root at lilith:/home/gerhard/src/Python2.2.2> exit
gerhard at lilith:~/src/Python2.2.2>

I prefer to keep the Python installations in a directory of
themselves, because then uninstalling works with a simple "rm -rf".

-- Gerhard