Asking a user for the root password and executing root only c ommands...

sismex01 at hebmex.com sismex01 at hebmex.com
Wed Oct 30 16:50:04 EST 2002

> From: bokr at oz.net [mailto:bokr at oz.net]
>
> Out of the box my NT handles that better than my OOTB Linux,
> which was default configured to shut down. I haven't played
> with that much. Is there a way to start up a login on
> Ctrl-Alt-Del (probably meaning take over the video and go
> into text mode)?
>
> I guess this is a bit OT...
>
> Regards,
> Bengt Richter

Go into /etc/inittab , there's a line which controls which
program to run in case the user presses C-A-D, it's plainly
commented as such. And in case it's not, check init's man
page, and then inittabs's man page, where it should be
described.

I've thought along those lines, about having a "magic"
key sequence for logging into the machine, or something like
that, but Linux is *not* windows, so maybe we shouldn't
be trying to do things the window's way.

-gustavo