ture64 with threads question

renez at lightcon.xs4all.nl renez at lightcon.xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 1 17:03:55 EDT 2002

I have managed to build python on a dec osf1 V5.1 computer.
Was a piece of cake using the dec native compiler
./configure --with-dec-threads -with-libs=-lpthread

However I need python to do some reporting over cvs files
I want to make a report over files and tags
I create a dictionary CvsFiles keyed on the name and for every
file I generate a unique number (FileId)
Cvsfile[file]= Unique fileid
The same for every tag
CvsTag[tag] = unique tagid

Then i need to index on either TagId,FileId or FileId,TagId
I make 2 dictionaries:
FileTag[(FileId,TagId)]=TagName
TagFile[(TagId,FileId)]=TagName
where tagid ranges from 1..991
and fileid ranges from 1..600
at the end I have a print line which says
"Done ",fileid, "Files and ", tagid," Tags"

Now in a threaded python interpreter de program takes a very long
time (>1 minute) to return to the prompt after the last print line.

The larger the number of FileId and TagId gets the longer is
takes before returning to the prompt.

In a non-threaded python interpreter de program ends directly
after the last print line.

Any Ideas what i do wrong?

Thanks Rene