wxPython newbie problems

TeaAndBikkie teaandbikkie at aol.com
Sat Oct 19 09:16:56 EDT 2002

>From: JB jb at yahoo.de
>
>I hav installed wxPython and get some principal difficulties
>at the start:
>I open a text console and type in
>> python wxtest.py
>Then I get a window with some error messages but this window
>is closed again so I see only a flash and cannot read the
>error messages.
>Can somebody help me?

>But the most imprtant thing would be to lear how to read the
>error messages. (I also tried pyShell, but it does not seem
>to work at all: I cannot load files from within pyShell).

The window you see is the DOS/CMD/Command prompt window, where all stdout and
stderr is directed to by default. There are several ways to redirect stdout and
stderr, but I found the simplest solution here is to open the script in IDLE,
and run it from there. All output is then directed to the Python Shell window.

To open it in IDLE you could right-click the script in explorer, and select
Edit. Or run IDLE and File Open, etc.

Note I did have problems running wxPython scripts from Pythonwin, seems to be
some incompatibilities (Python 2.2.1, win98), whereas IDLE worked ok.

regards,
Misha