which GUI?

Nils Hensel nils.hensel at web.de
Fri Oct 11 09:30:24 EDT 2002

Hi Stefane,
there are several possibilities to consider, e.g. wxPython which looks
fantastic but won't work on a Mac.
For someone new to Python who would like to write potable apps I'd recommend
using Tkinter. It is relatively easy to use though I'd agree that there
could be a lot more useful tutorials which would explain the concept behind
Tkinter rather than how to display a button with "Hello World " on it. I
always found that the tutorials stop at the point where it starts to get
interesting.
Anyhow Tkinter GUIs are very easy to layout which IMHO is the most important
aspect of coded GUIs. Also is it part of the standard Python distribution,
so everybody who has Python installed can run Tkinter scripts.
The size of an Tkinter .exe should not worry you that much since that is the
general overhead. Just because "Hello World" is 5 MB doesn't mean that a
serious application will grow linearily. If you plan to distribute several
apps I would recommend installing Python on the target machine and
distributing them as .pyc files.

HTH,
Nils

news:3da6cd00.0 at d2o947.telia.com...