Is the word "Python" copyrighted/trademarked?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 2 20:00:10 EDT 2002

<posted & mailed>

Alex Martelli fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 02 October
2002 12:36 am:

> David LeBlanc wrote:
>> I don't think (not sure) that languages can be trademarked anyway can
>
> Not *languages*, but surely their *names* can -- Ada (TM) was the
> first well-known example I believe (the DOD trademarked it, I think).

        They had a reason for that -- since the goal was to come up with ONE
COMMON STANDARD they needed to ensure that no one could market a
compiler as "Ada" unless it passed their test suite and got the
approval.

        Unlike what happened to COBOL where things like the Report Writer
module were pretty much optional... Or FORTRAN 77 (I once saw a copy of
the standard for that -- it is split: left page listed "subset" F77,
right page listed "full" F77).