International APPs / pygettext

Ingo Linkweiler i.linkweiler at web.de
Wed Oct 16 07:55:44 EDT 2002

Now I have got all required tools, and started with this program:

import gettext
gettext.install('langtest')
print _("Hello World")

Then I typed:

 > pygettext.py langtest.py

and got this file "messages.pot", I added the translation to msgstr.

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR ORGANIZATION
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL at ADDRESS>, YEAR.
#
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: Wed Oct 16 13:34:06 2002\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL at ADDRESS>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL at li.org>\n"
"Generated-By: pygettext.py 1.4\n"
#: langtest.py:6
msgid "Hello World"
msgstr "Hallo Welt"

I renamed this file to "messages.de.po" and run the GNU msgfmt (a
complied windows version was was included in the CygWin package):

 > msgfmt messages.de

msgfmt: messages.de.po: warning: Charset "CHARSET" is not a portable
encoding name. Message conversion to user's charset might not work.

I ignored this warning and got a file "messages.mo"

Now I run the python source. Result :-(

Hello World

Next try: Changed source to

import gettext
#gettext.install('langtest')
lang = gettext.translation(languages=['de'])
lang.install()
print _("Hello World")

Result:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "D:\EIGENE~1\source\PyNassi\langtest.py", line 3, in ?
     lang = gettext.translation(languages=['de'])
TypeError: translation() takes at least 1 non-keyword argument (0 given)

Can you help me?