migrate from java to python. How?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.org
Wed Oct 2 10:47:13 EDT 2002

In article <3d9ad067$1 at news.starhub.net.sg>, 2cents <2cents at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to Python and I'm a Java programmer.
>
>Can anyone recommend me a documentation/book to learn python for java
>programmer.
>I'm having some difficulties reading the python API (or I may have
>downloaded a wrong API).
>
>in Java, you can browse through packages and find classes, and then the
>methods/variables.
>But in python, there is only library reference
>http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html
>Is there any complete API documentation as can be found in JAVA?
>
>Or probably as a newbie, this will be a question:
>-Where does the python programmer find certain functions in the modules?

Different places.  Some people work best with printed
documentation, others like reading on-line, in any of
several different formats.

What I suspect will interest you most are Python's
interactive introspective capabilities.  Make sure
you've read <URL: http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html >.
Learn about dir (references to follow--I'm on my way out)
and docstring, and, most crucially, the habit of working
in (one of) the Python interactive shell(s).
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net