translate tables versus replace

David Bear david.bear at asu.edu
Thu Oct 31 17:08:50 EST 2002

I have a string that contains certain chars that I want removed.  The chars
can be anywhere and in any order.   I initially thought of something like

string.replace(line, badchar1, '').replace(badchar2, '').replace(badchar3,
'')

But then I thought perhaps a translate table would work.  A translate table
that would convert the badchars into a space might work.  I was hoping
there was an easier way.  However my biggest concern is performance of
successive calls to replace versus a call to translate.  Which might be
'faster'...?