Reports, PDF, and grid widget for Python?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Oct 21 18:12:18 EDT 2002

In article <3db464b8 at monitor.lanset.com>,
Adams-Blake Co. <aremovethiscanton at adamsremovethis-blake.com> wrote:
			.
>> I get the feeling you're working too hard at this,
>> though.  How does a Web application not meet all
>> your needs?
>
>You are 100% correct and I AM looking at a web-application. I've spent days
>and days looking at doing this in ASP, JSP, PHP, PSP, Java Servlets, Perl
>CGI... you name it, I've looked at it.
>
>I've only done VB COM objects with IIS and never a scripted CGI application.
>How does one call a Python CGI program from PHP? Is it an object like it is
>under VB/IIS?
>
>As far as the web is concerned, I like the idea of JSP because it allows me
>the use of the third-party Java report modules. But there aren't that many
>JSP hosts and we're too small a company to have our own server just yet.
			.
			.
			.
I've been with you up until you asked, "How does one call a Python
CGI program from PHP?"  While there are answers to that, and the
subsequent question, I don't think that's what you really want.

It's simpler than this.  VB/IIS has ... given you a perspective
that is not universal.  It's simpler than this, really.

Take a deep breath.  What *do* you have?  I suggest you start over
again with the high-level architecture.  You want to generate
reports that look nice, based on data that live on a machine under
your control.  Is that right?  The reports are to be seen on-line,
correct?  By whom?  By the whole 'Net, by people on your own LAN,
...?  Or is paper the true target?

'Hope you won't be disappointed if a solution emerges that involves
no new hardware.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net