Tcl/Tkinter problem

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 7 07:15:43 EDT 2002

Xiao-Qin Xia <xx758 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> If I rename the directory /usr/lib/tcl8.3 and /usr/lib/tk8.3 to anything
> other, python1.5 cannot use Tkinter either. So I guess python1.5 and
> python2.2 use the same Tk library. But why they behavior different? Does
> anybody know how to solve this problem?

I assume Tk tries to convert Unicode strings to the encoding of your
font and crashes in doing so. This problem then would not occur if
there are no Unicode strings, as is the case with Python 1.5.

I would guess that this is a bug in Tk; you may want to try Tcl 8.4
instead. Alternatively, try removing some of the encoding files in
tcl, e.g. gb2312.enc or big5.enc.

HTH,
Martin