McMillan / Tk / encoding problem

Thomas Korb Doc at goodweb.de
Fri Oct 4 09:15:54 EDT 2002

Actually, I have the usual

  import sys
  sys.setdefaultencoding('iso-8859-1')

in my sitecustomize.py. I don't know, how the default-encoding can be
set otherwise. In my script, I use an explicit 'import sitecustomize',
which is maybe very naive, but somehow worked. (Before that, I got errors
when a character was not in the ASCII-range 0-127; after that, those
errors did not show up anymore; so it seemed to have 'some' effect.)

Is there another way to set the default-encoding for use with your installer?
(I never liked sitecustomize.py any way; and I always felt that something
like sys.setdefaultencoding(...) should work in a normal script, too.)

Dr. Thomas Korb  /  GOODWEB.DEsign  /  www.goodweb.de  /  Doc at goodweb.de