Building Python 2.2.1 for HP Tru64 UNIX V4.0F

Phoebe 1 phoebe_1 at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 9 21:23:42 EDT 2002

Narendra,
Did you hack the makefile to add the options? Then it will *not* work.
I think Martin had suggested CC trick, I usually hack the configure.ac to
set the flags since I have lots
of different OS/Archs to support.
Did you do this:
$ make distclean
$ CC="cc -std1 -msg_disable longlongtype"
$ export CC
$ ./configure --with-pydebug
If you did not run configure again (with distclean) it will *not* work.
Anyways I am using DEC/Compaq/HP C compiler V6.2 > . I have it working with
Tru64 Unix 4.0E, 5.0A, 5.1,5.1A (yes, I have all those versions). I don;t
have a 4.0F system,
maybe it is specific to that OS version.  Or it could be your C compiler
version, try to download
the new compiler from the ftp site, there were some issuses with the early
version of 6.0, I have
the 6.2 and 6.3 compilers and I have had no problems.
Cheers

"Narendra Raavi" <narendra at att.com> wrote in message
news:ao2flt$6n39 at kcweb01.netnews.att.com...

> All, Thanks for the several suggestions.
>
> 1.a: I am using the --with-pydebug option for configure.
> 1.b: I have the same problem with gcc3.1.
> 1.c: Using "-std1 -msg_disable longlongtype" did not work for Python2.2.1
or
> Python2.2.2b1.
> 1.d: For Python2.2.2b1 the error occurs even earlier:
>
> cc -c -O -Olimit 1500 -I. -I./Include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o
> Objects/unicodeobject.
> o Objects/unicodeobject.c
> cc: Error: Objects/unicodeobject.c, line 1235: Invalid expression.
(badexpr)
>         nallocated = Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST(sizeof(stackbuf), size_t, int);
> ---------------------^
> cc: Error: Objects/unicodeobject.c, line 1235: Invalid statement.
(badstmt)
>         nallocated = Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST(sizeof(stackbuf), size_t, int);
> ---------------------^
> cc: Error: Objects/unicodeobject.c, line 1293: Invalid expression.
(badexpr)
>         nneeded = Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST(p - stackbuf, long, int);
> ------------------^
> cc: Error: Objects/unicodeobject.c, line 1293: Invalid statement.
(badstmt)
>         nneeded = Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST(p - stackbuf, long, int);
> ------------------^
> cc: Error: Objects/unicodeobject.c, line 1299: Invalid expression.
(badexpr)
>         nneeded = Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST(p - PyString_AS_STRING(v), long, int);
> ------------------^
> cc: Error: Objects/unicodeobject.c, line 1299: Invalid statement.
(badstmt)
>         nneeded = Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST(p - PyString_AS_STRING(v), long, int);
> ------------------^
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
>
> 2. The problem seems to be (a) the cpp translation of  this macro OR (b)
the

;
> else __assert("(WIDE)(NARROW)(VALUE) == (VALUE)", "x.c", 17),
> (NARROW)(VALUE))(c, int, char) ;
>

> 3. My main motivation in using the --with-pydebug option is to be able to
> dump internals to inspect them. Just learning.
>
> 4. BTW, I love the way the code (that I have looked at - about 35%) is
> written. Clean, easily understood, uncluttered. The Python developers
> deserve kudos for this.
>
> 5. It appears that there is a bug report that has not been fixed. One fix
is
> to replace the assert with a function that actually returns something.
I'll