SOAP questions

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 20 06:02:28 EDT 2002

"Emmett" <emmettwa at onebox.com> wrote in message
news:e0da462e.0210182105.4f11c6fb at posting.google.com...

>   It sounds to me that you need a parser that can read the stream
>   and create the Delphi equivalent to a Java JDOM or DOM representation
>   of the results. Then your tool should chain XSL transformations
>   as needed to provide data for the gui.
>
>   Again, if possible use the fact that everything is in XML and stay with
>   XSLT solutions as much as possible. Stay away from building a lot
>   of code from scratch.

>   I'm puzzled. The user either codes in XHTML, HTML, XSLT, or XML.
>   But not HTML/XML. Now, XSLT which generates XHTML can be made to look
>   very XHTML like. You'd hardly recognize the XSLT was XHTML except for
>   <xsl:***> statements.
>
>   You need to do something which will do a post to the SOAP server,
>   create a Delphi XML representation (equivalent to JDOM or DOM)
>   which is then transformed with chained XSLTs to fill in the
>   HTML/XML. To do that I'd think you'd want the HTML/XML to be XSLT
>   which looks like XHTML.

<snip>

Emmet,

Let me clarify things a bit.  The app that the user uses to _design_ the web
page is in Delphi.  But, the Delphi app generates HTML or XML/XSLT or
Javascript (if I seem fuzzy hear is I'm not sure what will be best yet)
pages that they will upload to their web server (Apache, etc.).  It is those
generated pages that will contain the preformatted SOAP requests and I'm
hoping there is a way they can also deal with the incoming SOAP response.
That's the part that throws me.  My knowledge of web programming isn't
nearly good enough yet to understand how a web page can "intercept" (?) the
returned SOAP response before the browser gets hold of it and reformat it
into renderable web page using XSLT or whatever.

That is why I fear that I may end up having to have some kind of CGI module
on the user's web server that handles the SOAP transactions instead and
serves up the content to a web site visitor.  If I could find a way to pull
this off completely on the client side, i.e. inside the web visitor's
browser,  I'd be overjoyed.

thx