[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Oct 8 13:47:05 EDT 2002

"Chris Watson" <opsys at voodooland.net> wrote in message
> I love the GNU "Play by my rules or i'm taking my toys and going
home"
> attitude. It's so beneficial to humanity.

I love the Statist "Play by our rules or we'll shoot you" attitude.
Ditto for the Corporatist "Play by our rules or we'll sue you until
you wish you *had* been shot" attitude.

> If it was about passing on knowledge it would be in the public
domain
> commons for the benefit of man.

About 10 years ago, the US Patent office issued a patent something
like the following:

Method for Getting the Correct CDRom into a Computer CD Drive

while correct CD is not in CD drive:
    ask user to put correct CD in CD drive
.
.
.
.
.
.

Looking for more?  Sorry, that's it, the patented software algorithm.
So much for public domain commons when Statists help Corporatists to
fence it in.

> As someone stated earlier the GPL is a political statement.

As is, it seems to me, GPL bashing.

Well, back to Python,

Terry J. Reedy