Books on scientific/numeric programming in Python?

Francis Burton F.L.Burton at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sat Oct 19 10:34:31 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez wrote:
> Look at
> http://pathfinder.scar.utoronto.ca/~csca57/
>
> They have 'An Elementary Introduction to Scientific Computing', the text is
> incomplete. I wasn't terribly impressed by it, but it does have a pyhton
> focus.

It's not too bad at all as a course text, imho. Obviously someone put
considerable effort into writing it. However, I had in mind something
much more like a cookbook - not so much a "Numerical Recipes in Python"
(although that would be quite nice!) as a collection of more general
purpose code snippets and modules that show how Python idioms could be
applied in the scientific/numerical field. So it would include lots of
database, graphical and GUI examples and maybe have rather less of a
web slant. I like the "Python Cookbook" style of exposition.

Francis