Python 2.2.1, Solaris 8, gcc compile question

Hennie Rautenbach hennie at nospam.sabinet.co.za
Tue Oct 22 08:41:31 EDT 2002

Hi there folks,

Sure this is a faq but haven't been able to find the answer.

I'm configuring and compiling the Python-2.2.1 distribution on a Sun Sparc
running Solaris 8 using the gcc compiler (3.0.3).

It configures and compiles fine. However when I install and run python and
import a module I get the following error:

$ /usr/local/bin/python
Python 2.2.1 (#1, Oct 22 2002, 14:27:46)
[GCC 3.0.3] on sunos5
>>> import time
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open
failed:
No such file or directory

It has been pointed out to me that it relates to not having specified the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable or not having used -G during compile time. I have
very little experience in the use of LD_LUIBRARY_PATH and its associated
evils.

My question is, what parameters should I pass to configure to get it to
create the proper Makefile that would compile a happy python which has all
the proper libraries linked ?

Any help will be appreciated very much.

Regards,

Hennie (clueless...)