maintaining order with cgi

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Oct 22 16:30:08 EDT 2002

bromden wrote:

> furthermore, the order of fields may depend on a browser,
> and so relying on it seems to be a wrong approach

Even if this were sensible, you still have to contend with browser bugs
and/or bizarre behavior.  For instance, I had a Web application using
CGI which relied on being able to detect the buttons (the application
kept track of which form was being displayed and which button was hit in
order to decide what to do).  To make this easier, I prefixed all button
names with an underscore and ensured that no non-button controls had
such a name.  Of course, links (a text-based browser not to be confused
with Lynx) has bugs where it will resubmit a query string concatenated
to the end of a query, making it look like there are multiple buttons
being submitted.

/  \ The people are to be taken in very small doses.
\__/ Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Bosskey.net: Quake III Arena / http://www.bosskey.net/q3a/
 A personal guide to Quake III Arena.