Report writer for Python?

Andy Dent dent at oofile.com.au
Thu Oct 17 20:43:59 EDT 2002

In article <3dae48b3 at monitor.lanset.com>, "Adams-Blake Co."
<aremovethiscanton at adamsremovethis-blake.com> wrote:

>Andy Dent wrote:
>

>This is interesting but I didn't see a Python interface.
No, as I said in the first response - I'm in the middle of Python
integration with our various tools and was looking for people's feedback
on how they would use it.

>Besides, all I
>need is a report generator (perhaps from SQL) and not a database
Part of the revision of the product is making it easier to drop into
existing applications. The report-writer can currently be driven from a
purely RAM-based database, which a number of clients populate from other
sources (including plain application code, no databases in sight).

The revision was prompted by an experience using the report-writer in a
client site with SQL Server and a homegrown (before I got there) C++
database interface.

If I'm writing logic to intelligently interface the report-writer engine
to SQL and perform the same reflective operations that our current
database API supports, I'd rather put a flexible layer in there to allow
users to customise the data mappings without having to get down and dirty
in C++.

Hence, the choice of Python as a logical language to customise the
database connection.

--
Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM    http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows