exec(threads)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 7 16:53:02 EDT 2002

"JS" scjuonline at web.de wrote:

> > So when you said "no processes are created" you meant "I don't get
> > threads"?
>
> "No Processes" means, I get threads. (as expected)

So, what else is wrong?

> > I'm not sure what the problem is yet, so can't yet do much to
> > help you solve it! Although you posted the code you didn't say how it
> > failed to run on which platforms. Your original post said you saw five
new
> > processes created on Linux, and you then imply that the problem lies
with
> > Linux. Is this actually the case or am I misunderstanding?
>
> The code I posted was just a dirty testing hack.
> This code shows, that 5 processes are created under linux.

Linux will list each thread as a separate process. What part of the
performance of your code is unsatisfactory (*besides* seeing five processes
on Linux which you don't see on other OSs)?

> Or at least I think so. But if a 'ps' gives me
>
>  PID TTY          TIME CMD
>  2543 pts/9    00:00:00 go.py
>  2544 pts/9    00:00:00 go.py
>  2545 pts/9    00:00:00 go.py
>  2546 pts/9    00:00:00 go.py
>  2547 pts/9    00:00:00 go.py
>
> they should be processes, right?

Process, thread, it depends on the particular platform: some OSs show
threads as separate entries in the process list, some don't.

> What is used if I call start_new_thread()?
> Is it a user-level library? If yes, which one?

Well, you could read the code. I'm still waiting to hear how your program is
broken (I suspect it isn't). Does the program do the same thing on each OS?
What's the *real* problem here?

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com