realtime design

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Wed Oct 16 18:33:04 EDT 2002

Bengt Richter wrote:

> It sounds a bit funny to me to be worrying about "too long" (presumably
> _real_ time?) in a realtime *simulator* (especially after saying performance
> is no issue). I guess you're not simulating time itself in your realtime simulator?

I've been wondering about that, too. If you're seriously
trying to simulate the behaviour of a real-time system,
you want the timeout to occur after a certain amount of
*simulated* time, not actual time. To be able to do that,
your simulator needs to have a notion of how much
simulated time each operation takes, and keep track
of it.

So, before going any further, the question which must
be answered is: how accurately does the behaviour of
the simulated system in simulated time have to reflect
the behaviour of the real system in real time?

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,