Annoyed - Python 2.2.1 BUG in calendar module

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 3 16:17:02 EDT 2002

"Kaleb Pederson" <kibab at icehouse.net> wrote in message
> Ok.  I just finished a PyQt date widget wherein I created a wrapper
> around the calendar module to use as my backend.  The Calendar module,
> however, doesn't explicitly say that it doesn't work for dates pre-1970.
> The best case is that this is a DOCUMENTATION BUG.  I would prefer to
> see a more powerful date module that starts at the beginning of the
> Gregorian calendar.
>
> What the documentation does say:
>
> From http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-calendar.html:
>
> weekday(year, month, day)  - Returns the day of the week (0 is Monday)
> for year (1970-...), month (1-12), day (1-31).

I should say this is a pretty explicit statement that dates can't be before
1970.

> // I figured that was fine, I can avoid using that function in my
> wrapper
>
> timegm(tuple) - An unrelated but handy function that takes a time tuple
> such as returned by the gmtime() function in the time module, and
> returns the corresponding Unix timestamp value, assuming an epoch of
> 1970, and the POSIX encoding. In fact, time.gmtime() and timegm() are
> each others' inverse.

And this promises you that dates are based on a starting point of 1970. RTFM
;-)

> // Okay, I can avoid that too, especially since it is "unrelated"
>
> I probably should have got a clue based on the above, but I didn't....

We all have our blind spots :-)

> Well, anyone have a different calendar module that isn't limited like
> the Python one that happens to be available?  I would prefer one that
> was API compatible.
>
> If not, I'm off to write my own.

It's hard to say what you need from calednar. It would probably be worth a
look at mxDateTime and then snitching the code from calendar to build around
it.

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com