building extensions with gcc and python 2.2

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Sun Oct 13 15:39:11 EDT 2002

Ken Seehof <kseehof at neuralintegrator.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1034532618.15527.python-list at python.org:

> I'm developing a tool that involves dynamic compilation of python
> extensions. Since I do not want to require my windows users to buy
> MSVC, I can no longer use it build my extensions (i.e. the user needs
> to be able to recompile).
>
> Therefore, I am experimenting with using gcc as my compiler.
>
> Should I use Cygwin or Mingw?

use --compiler=mingw with both...

i use cygwin with the mingw option and it works perfectly, while i had some
troubles with the cygwin mode. the advantage of mingw is that there are no
dependencies with the cygwin.dll.

> I've found an ancient tome by Robert Kern suggesting Mingw:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/mingw32/Notes.html
> It's very nice documentation, but unfortunately, it's for python 1.5.2
> and is dated Aug 09, 1999.  Is there any current documentation of that
> quality?

all you need to know is in the standard docs. just use distutils like

python setup.py --compiler=mingw

thats all.
you have to build the import library the first time. it works fine with
pexports and dlltool.

chris
--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>