Which Linux distribution

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Oct 5 08:09:55 EDT 2002

Jaroslav Gresula wrote:
> What is your experience? What distribution would you recommend to me?
> My primary requirement on the distrubution is to have a nice Pyton
> environment with easy maintenance of multiple python versions.

I use Mandrake (now 8.2, plan to switch to 9.0 come November, mostly for
KDE upgrades) and always install Python from sources (multiple versions).
It appears to me (from direct attempts with Mdk's RPM, and mostly from
watching things at Strakt where Debian is used) that pre-packaged Python
installs don't make it anywhere as easy to keep multiple versions, each with
many add-ons.

Alex