No tabs in post PLEASE!!! (was Re: partial list sort)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 10 11:59:06 EDT 2002

"François Pinard" <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message

Somewhat tongue in cheek, I wrote

>I've seen
> a constant push, for years, by recipients using broken software,
asking the
> whole planet to be polite and help them cope with their
brokenedness.  That
> push should be considered unwelcome, and politeness is misplaced
here.

Since I started this subthread, please note that I did *not* push (and
intentionally so).  I simply informed the OP that *if* he wanted me to
read his code without having to guess at indentation, then he should
avoid tabs.  Since I had provided him, free of charge, two solutions
to his problem, he wrote back that he would try to do so (avoid) in
the future.

Another person prefers, for whatever reason, to post his text as mime
attachments to an empty body.  I sent him the same sort of
information.  He replied that he thinks that leaving attachments as
attachments until explicitly opened instead of autoconverting them to
body text is a brokenness he does not with to cater to.  Fine.  I skip
all his stuff.

Terry J. Reedy