McMillan Installer and threads

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sat Oct 12 09:06:17 EDT 2002

Robin Becker wrote:

> Gordon McMillan's new installer stuff starts locking its internal state
> when it sees that the thread module is imported.
>
> Does the use of thread.acquire/release imply we are getting the overhead
> of multi-threading or does start_new_thread actually have to be called?

It's just the presence of the thread module.

Conceivably, C code could create a situation where threads
are active without start_new_thread ever being called.
Perhaps even without the thread module being imported, but
there doesn't seem to be a way to tell from pure Python
whether threads have been initialized at the C level.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/