How do I invoke IE browser from Python on Mac OS X?

Paul Jackson pj at engr.sgi.com
Sun Oct 20 20:35:37 EDT 2002

How do I invoke Internet Explorer (or other package)
from Python (or from a shell prompt for that matter)
on Mac OS X.  It seems that IE and other major apps
on OS X are not single executable files, but a directory
subtree called a package or bundle, as described for
example at:

    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2015.html
    Technical Note TN2015
    Locating Application Support Files under Mac OS X

    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1188.html
    Technical Note TN1188
    Packages in Mac OS 9

                          I won't rest till it's the best ...