Help with MySQLdb Please

Bill Carter BC at energy.com
Mon Oct 21 14:19:42 EDT 2002

I have a problem that I just can't figure out.

I have a mysql table that has a few columns in it the column in
question is a "varchar(8)" type.  If I issue the commands directly it
work as expected but when I use python and MySQLdb I get strange
results.

Command line that works outside python is as follows

SELECT t.col1, t.col2, t.col3 from test as t where t.col2 LIKE "%123%"

That work just like I want it to work,  But the same example in python
returns "errortype" errors.

Python:
userinput = "123"
cursor.execute(" SELECT t.col1, t.col2, t.col3 from test as t where
t.col2 LIKE '%%%s%%', (userinput))

if I convert "int(userinput)"  it will work as long as I don't put in
any non numeric  characters, even those the column is a text / string
column.  I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  Any help
would be great

BC