Love "Python Cookbook"

Edward K. Ream edream at tds.net
Thu Oct 10 08:38:38 EDT 2002

> Got the book 2 weeks ago, what a treasure trove.  If you are serious about
> Python then get this book.

I couldn't agree more.  I won't embarrass myself by telling all the things I
learned in the first chapter :-)  This really is an awe-inspiring book for
the breadth of its coverage and the complete excellence of its presentation.
The authors and especially the editors deserve the highest praise. Even when
explaining the most elementary topics the editors manage to be interesting
and even surprising.  I have already turned down the corners dozens of pages
that I want to study in detail.

This book reminds me of the work of the late great musicologist Edward
Downs.  Shortly after his death in 2001, the Metropolitan Opera ran an
appreciation of him and his work.  They aired a short recording of him
explaining the terms "staccato" and "legato", terms familiar to almost all
musicians.  Without being in the least condescending, he managed to convey
clearly the meanings of both terms, while adding items of interest to me,
illustrated with two gorgeous recorded examples showing the impact of the
difference between the two.

In short, this is just a superb job.  It shows the power of a community of
users enhanced by the editing of stars.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edream at tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines