Problems executing code with exec

JB jb at yahoo.de
Sun Oct 13 05:41:03 EDT 2002

I have a piece of code that I should like to execute with
the exec statement. Here is this code:

def lotfusspunkt(p,g):
  (p1,p2) = schnitt(kreis(g.a(),p),kreis(g.b(),p))
  return schnitt(gerade(p1,p2),g)

and here is the procedure that executes it (with the text
above being in the variable text):

  def start(self):

    i = 0
    statement_list = string.split(txt,'\n')
    for statement in statement_list:
      try:
        exec statement+'\n' in user_name_space
      except:
        txt = str(sys.exc_info()[1])
        return i
      i += 1

The idea is that upon return the line number of the line
that caused the error is returned and I can set a cursor to
this line in the text editor window that contains the
statements.

On the other hand, when I call exec with

exec text+'\n' in user_name_space

that works but then I cannot find out the number of the line
that caused the error. If I use something like

    i = traceback.tb_lineno(sys.exc_info()[2])

then the line number of the line that contains the exec
statement is returned and not the line number of the line
in the variable text. Sometime it is possible to parse the
error message (in sys.exc_info()[2]) to get the correct
line number but sometimes this is not possible.

Can anybody help me?

TIA,
--
Janos Blazi