PEP239 (Rational Numbers) Reference Implementation and new issues

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Oct 3 16:40:00 EDT 2002

John Roth wrote:

> What I would _perfer_ to do is ban integer division completely,
> and replace it by a set of specialty operations that each return
> an explicitly defined result type: that is, fdiv, rdiv, idivf, idivr,
> idivc.
> I doubt that I'll get very much support for this, however.

Because of the upcoming changes for division semantics when the operands
are integers, you're in effect already forced to this; if you want to
write integer division portably, you need to use divmod.

/  \ People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.
\__/ Logan Pearsall Smith
    Computer science / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/compsci/
 A computer science reference.