realtime design

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 16 03:28:35 EDT 2002

> [Greg Ewing]
> > Will Stuyvesant wrote:
> >
> > But if the
> > function call winds up doing cpu intensive stuff (for example
> > pow()) at the C level then the Python threading timeout fails

> > Performance is no issue, the
> > simulation is allowed to be very slow, as long as it does
> > implement the primitive correctly.
>
> In that case, just don't do anything intensive in C!
> Keep it all in pure Python.

I did hope that would be a reliable solution.  But alas it is not:
doing something like ``x = 2L * 2L * 32'' will send control to the C
level for too long.  For ordinary purposes it may not be much of a
problem.  But for a realtime simulator...

'''
Magic is always the best solution -- especially reliable magic.
'''