Python documentation in DocBook

Milan Zamazal pdm at zamazal.org
Wed Nov 6 05:38:55 EST 2002

    MvL> Milan Zamazal <pdm at zamazal.org> writes:
    >> OK, that was unknown to me.  If so, then the LaTeX format is
    >> completely fine for me.  What parser of the Python LaTeX sources
    >> do you mean and where can I get it from?

    MvL> There are several parsers in use: LaTex proper (for Postscript
    MvL> formatting),

This one is not generally usable, from what I've heard, hacking TeX to
produce another format is quite difficult.

    MvL> latex2html (for HTML),

It doesn't look to me like something that could be used in any
reasonable way for translation to other formats than HTML either.

    MvL> Emacs + py2texi (for texinfo),

I'm the author of this one and this is not a parser.  It uses heuristics
to process the LaTeX source.  Actually, this is my main source of the
desire to have Python documentation in a parseable format -- I need it
in the Info format and with many new Python versions, updating py2texi
requires significantly more work than just defining templates for the
newly introduced LaTeX commands.

    MvL> latex2esis (for SGML).

This one is unknown to me, I'll try to look at it.  If it produces
reasonable SGML (e.g. no content information is lost during the
conversion), it could be used for the conversion to a parseable format.

Thanks,

Milan Zamazal

--
http://www.zamazal.org