Question about dictionary and graph?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 6 15:09:06 EST 2002

"Mindy" <csshi99 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a string like "from=string1,to=string2,symbole=
> 'string3' ", I want to parse it

>>> s="from=string1,to=string2,symbol=string3"
>>> d={}
>>> fields = s.split(',')
>>> for f in fields:
...   k,v = f.split('=')
...   d[k] = v
>>> print d
{'to': 'string2', 'symbol': 'string3', 'from': 'string1'}

>and place the three  fields into a tuple  (from,to ,symbol).

If you *know* fields are always in same order (in which case, field
names are *not* needed), you can construct tuple in fields loop
instead of dict.  Otherwise,

>>> tup = (d['from'], d['to'],d['symbol'])

> I also want to  stick an ID(just an integer) to each tuple.

Trivial exercise for you

> So how to  parse this? And is it okay to use m.groupdict() to get
> a dictionary from the results of parsing?

With string methods instead of re's.

> And still another question, if I want to draw a line
> with arrow pointed from "from" to "to", how can I do
> this?  I think this question is about how to draw a
> graph in Python. Thanks for any hints!

Did you try google? ('Python graph')

Terry J. Reedy