Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Nov 22 17:43:14 EST 2002

Pascal Costanza wrote:
> (All the scripting languages I have seen so far rely on C for the hairy
> stuff - and I definitely don't like that. There should be some
> alternative.)

There is.  Jython, www.jython.org, is an implementation of the Python
language in and for Java -- complete, working, and quite solid.  Vyper,
vyper.sf.net, was a similar project to implement a new dialect of Python in
O'Caml (now the project is marked as "no longer active").  Python.NET was a
similar (research) project to implement Python in C#, also now finished.

Of these, I would only suggest Jython as feasible for production work today.
But surely if a third production-level implementation could be added to
Classic Python and Jython, this *would* be quite a significant and
meaningful accomplishment.

It's probably important to identify the motivations that would convince
somebody to use the hypothetical "LisPython" rather than Common Lisp,
Classic Python, or Jython; having a clear target in mind can ease many
design choices later on.  What are your ideas in the matter?

Alex