Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 28 15:39:56 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:21:37 -0800, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

>ction applies more to Python's indentation
>requirements than to Lisp's parenthesis-matching requirements.  Most
>modern languages -- I dare say nearly all -- have rules about matching
>parentheses (and often brackets and curly braces as well, of course) and
>so practically any language mode in a programmer's editor will match
>Lisp-like parentheses right out of the box.

The standard coding practice in Lisp, and the default in emacs is:

(something
	(something
		(something
			something)))

While simple in this context, as trailing parentheses add up at
various levels and in variable multiplicity, it is difficult to
deal with. In complex expressions, while it is easily discernable
whether or not the parentheses add up, it's quite a bit more difficult
to discern if indendation matches block logic. Emacs, of course,
does this for you. A programmer not using Emacs or a Lisp-aware editor
is much better served by:

(something
	(something
		(something
			something
		)
	)
)

Misfortunately, this is entirely against standard Lisp style. Take
it over to comp.lang.lisp, and ask them.

You're not convincing me in the least, I might add. A decade of
hearing from every corner of the Lisp community that a Lisp-aware
editor is the only way to program Lisp cannot be undone by a lone
voice on usenet.

C//