Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Thu Nov 21 12:10:04 EST 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Macros let you design a different language on top of whatever language
> you have (that supports full-power macros).  That's my major beef with
> them, and ultimately the reason I'm not in the Lisp or Dylan communities,
> as above noticed.  I don't WANT to use a language that lets me redesign
> it -- worse, I most definitely don't want to use a language that lets
> _others_ redesign it, and find myself stuck using and supporting half
> a dozen different (and mostly badly designed) languages in as many
> disparate projects.

How is using a badly designed language worse than using a badly designed
API? Just don't use them!

But maybe I am missing something here?!? Could you elaborate more on that?

Pascal

--
Given any rule, however ‘fundamental’ or ‘necessary’ for science, there
are always circumstances when it is advisable not only to ignore the