Jython - ok to obfuscate code?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Nov 7 07:40:12 EST 2002

"Robert Oschler" <Oschler at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<BBay9.44669$Lg2.12149141 at news2.news.adelphia.net>...

[jythonc]

> I assume that you are suggesting that because that's at least one step more
> secure than a uncompiled *.py script?  In addition, once it becomes a true
> Java class it will be fodder for the obfuscator?

Well, last time I looked, jythonc produced Java source code that looks
a lot like what one would expect from a Java version of Python2C or a
Python program translated fairly literally to a Java program making
heavy use of the Python runtime functions. Many people would consider
that obfuscated enough, but add the compilation to Java class files,
and anyone "decompiling" the code has a long way to go to get anything
like the original Python sources.

Paul