using the PSF license for one's code

Donnal Walter donnal at donnal.net
Sat Nov 9 23:28:49 EST 2002

Bengt Richter wrote:
> ...Well, in an open forum there will be people who see both
> flaws and opportunities in blurts like that, and so the entire
> process becomes a kind of genetic algorithm operating to evolve
> and refine ideas.

Yes, exactly. A small part of my motivation is to come up with custom
applications that are not available elsewhere, but a greater incentive
is to create applications that can evolve. The software we build today
will necessarily reflect many of our established work processes, but
well-crafted software should help us see ways to improve our work flow
as well, and then the software must evolve to fit the new processes.
The open-source approach fits right into that way of looking at
things.

This is one of the reasons I am enthusiastic about Python. I'm
experienced enough to know that there are no magic solutions, but
Python makes it easier to make incremental changes with extensive
testing than any other environment I have ever used.

Regards,
Donnal Walter
Arkansas Children's Hospital