John Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Tue Nov 12 01:57:28 EST 2002

In article <aqp1et$iqd$0 at 216.39.172.122>, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter)
wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:35:09 -0800, John Baxter <jwbaxter at spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <3dcf6a25$0$35901$edfadb0f at dread13.news.tele.dk>,
> > "Anders J. Munch" <andersjm at dancontrol.dk> wrote:
> >
> >> A fascinating read - like
> >> when they invented garbage collection because they didn't have enough
> >> spare bits for reference counting in the IBM 704 machine word ;)
> >>
> >> on-a-64-bit-machine-would-McCarthy-have-invented-Python-instead?-ly y'rs,
> >
> >We might have found out, had IBM ever gotten "Stretch" to work.
> >
> I thought there was a "Stretch" doing production work at a Navy lab in the
> 60's.

There might well have been.  "A Stretch" after all the effort IBM put
into the beast isn't very impressive...unless of course there were
others.  But the whole line headed by the 704 died very early in 360
time (much to the disgust of folks who needed the capabilities the line
had and the 360 didn't do well).

  --John