PEP #99484663

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 11 17:10:53 EST 2002

"Russell Nelson" <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:m23cq7vmlk.fsf at desk.crynwr.com...
> dave at pythonapocrypha.com writes:
>
> > FWIW, I don't find the blocks-of-code-embedded-in-HTML to work that
well
> > in other languages, either. :) It has always felt like such a hack
and the
> > result is unreadable and thus tough to maintain.
>
> I agree.  Much better to generate the HTML from python code than to
> attempt to extricate a python program inside an HTML document, if only
> because the first can be turned into bytecodes while the second is
> necessarily based on string-scanning and evals.

I thought the original comment was about client side Python in HTML,
where there is no good substitute (assuming you want to use Python
on the client side.) On the server side, you can make arguements both
ways. If it's a few things that have to be generated into a large block
of
HTML, then embedding the scripting language makes sense. If it's a case
of major tailoring or generation, then all of the HTML should be
generated.

Just my opinion,
John Roth