hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Nov 7 11:04:40 EST 2002

[/F]
> According to the PEP, Python 2.5 will print warnings whenever you use
> long literals.  If the OP doesn't want warnings, he'll have to
> change his code for 2.3, and change it back for 2.5.

Except that's so silly on the face of it, you know that won't actually
happen.  I mentioned it to Guido, and he removed the warnings business
from the PEP with no fuss.  So, no, there won't be warnings for long
literals in the Python 2 line, the obvious solution is the correct
solution (tack on an L to make ambiguous literals platform-
independent), and Python 3 is a new ballgame.