mxDateTime install problem - SunOS 5.8 - mxstdlib.h varargs conflicts

Johann Hibschman jhibschman at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 1 13:20:24 EST 2002

Hi folks,

I don't know if this is a compiler, OS, or python problem, but I
thought this would be the right place to ask.

I just tried to install egenix-mx-base-2.0.4 using gcc 2.95.3 under
SunOS 5.8 with Python 2.2.2.  I unpacked everything, did a "python
setup.py install" and got the following error messages:

building extension "mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime" (required)
building 'mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime' extension
e/mxDateTime.o
In file included from mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mx.h:51,
                 from mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c:41:
mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h: In function `mxDebugPrintf':
mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:192: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared
(first use in this function)
mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:192: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:192: for each function it appears
in.)
mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:150: warning: `args' might be used
uninitialized in this function

Now, __builtin_va_alist seems to be some mysterious Sun macrology to
optimize the variable arguments, but I can't quite tease out what is
going wrong here.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps a better forum in which
to ask?

Thanks,

--Johann