python on unix [getting started]

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Sun Nov 17 01:08:56 EST 2002

This is a little ot, but not too much ...

I am pretty decent with using python on windows.  in particular, I use a lot
of COM programming.  I am now interested in doing more work on unix, but am
not sure where to get started.  What i am interested in is using python to
glue other things together, much like with COM on win32.

In particular, I would like to control mpg123 (i think?).  what is the
proper way to think about doing something like

player = win32com.client.Dispatch('mpg123.player')
player.play('/usr/home/mp3/Some Song.mp3')

on unix?  perhaps, where is the proper place to look to start learning about
this. any books, or websites, or pieces of code to look at?

thanks,

-doug